Reception Parent Information
Starting school for the first time can cause great excitement for both children and parents/guardians. Here are some ideas to help you prepare your child for school:
- Attend the 2 induction sessions in the term before your child is due to start.
- Talk to your child about going to school – there are some excellent story books about this subject.
- Take them past the school at different times of the day so they can see what’s going on.
- Encourage your child to become as independent as possible, e.g. when dressing and going to the toilet.
- Encourage your child to practise counting, holding pencils, drawing and writing.
The 7 areas of the Foundation Curriculum, are made up of
3 Prime Areas:
- Personal, Social & Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication & Language
4 Specific Areas:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive & Creative Design
Early Years Parent Guide from the DfE